What you just might need!

Sunday 19 February 2012

Introductions

I have decided to share with you a site devoted to our "Best Friend".  Included will be links to similar sites, and submissions from other breeders.  There will also be relevant information for choosing the right breed of dog that meets your individual needs based on size, cost and your own physical requirements from the specific breed.

I guess introductions are warranted.  I got my start in breeding dogs, quite by accident.  Obviously, I have always loved all dogs and believe regardless of the breed once you understand the animal's specific characteristics (high energy or low energy, working dogs, etc) you can end up with an animal that enhances your life immensely.

My mentor is Ken Pritchard.  A professional breeder of one of the largest breeds, The Old English Mastiff.  Ken is world renowned for his dogs which range from a paltry 180 pounds up to a whopping 280+ pounds. He owns Rockport Mastiffs and I cannot speak highly enough of both Ken and his wife Peggy.  Their professionalism when it comes to animal husbandry is immeasurable.

It was because of them that I chose to mirror their high standards and apply them to my own semi professional business of dog breeding.

I live in town and Ken lives in the country on acreage and thus he breeds large breed dogs where as I on the other hand breed much smaller ones.  I also do not breed "Pure Bred" but he does.

There are extremes, when it comes to breeding.  Those who believe in retaining the breed standard and shun those who would breed anything but pure bred dogs.  There are those who feel the pure bred dogs are fraught with complications associated with inbreeding, which is sometimes practiced and is referred to as Line Breeding.  I do not take a stand on this and will simply recognize the need to choose your dog and your dog breeder very carefully.  A good breeder, stands by his dogs, and looks at all his pups as part of his family, forever.

I personally have over 50 such pups. If ever, one of those dogs could not be cared for by its owner we would assist in every way possible to find it another loving home.

Lesson one will encompass what you need to know before you choose the breed and breeder, thus ensuring that you will have a successful outcome with your new best friend. I will add some humor to lighten the mood because there is nothing more rewarding than the antics of your dog.  Feel free to send me your funny picture or short video and I will add it to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment