What you just might need!

Sunday 11 March 2012

Questions I should Ask the Breeder

If you have done your homework and chosen the breeder, made contact with the breeder, checked their references, there are some questions you should still ask to ensure the fit is right between you and the breeder.
The breeder should be more than proud of their Dogs and that of the breed.  They should be able to give you a lengthy history of that specific breed and be excited in sharing the history of the breed with you.  They should not be more interested in completing the sale with you but rather they should be entering into a long term relationship with you.
My dogs are first and foremost and their health and welfare begins at conception and ends when they pass away.  Each and every pup is family to me and the dog owners are merely an extension of that family.
You should be made to feel part of that family.  If there is a rush to sell, if there is any unease to have you visit the breeder, then choose a different breeder.
Pure Bred dogs will be registered.  This is a process into itself.  To be certified by CKC or the AKC, one must meet certain criteria.  This includes, besides the obvious, having no non-mixed breed dogs that are not neutered or spayed living amongst the pure bred dogs they are planning to breed.  The facility must be clean, the living quarters and the whelping facilities must also be clean and meet certain standards.
You as a buyer can quickly see, by visiting the breeder, if they meet your standards.  Rely on your common sense.
The breeder should have both the male and female (Mom and Dad) of the pup you are interested in.
The breeder should be able to inform you of what congenital defects the breed is prone too and should be able to tell you how they breed to avoid that tendency.  They usually choose a male or female from another breeder who shows little or no health risks associated with that breed.  They should be willing to share that information with you and you should also be able to contact the contributing breeder as well.

Some basic questions to ask are.
How long have you been breeding for?
Is there a health guarantee?
How old does the pup have to be before I get it?
What is the name of your vet? (if you purchase locally, you might benefit by using the same vet as they are most experienced with the history of that breeder's dogs and you might get a discounted rate too!
When should I vaccinate my new dog?
Has it had it's first shot?
Has it been given a de-worming pill?
How often should I treat my dog for worms?
Has it had it's nails trimmed?
How often should I trim the nails?
What food do you recommend?
How should I feed the dog?  On demand or measured portions?
How often should I either brush or have my non-shedding dog groomed?
Do you know a good groomer?
What flea treatment do you recommend and how often?
How often should I bath my dog?
When should I spay or neuter?

Next the guarantee.



No comments:

Post a Comment